How thick can a meat slicer cut is perhaps the first question a chef or a home maker will ponder over before buying a meat slicer for their use.
The general answer to this query is the cutting efficiency of a meat slicer strictly varies from one model to other. An Automatic Meat Slicer or a Manual meat slicer both can have adjustable slicing thickness and can slice meat from super-thin (close to 0.2 mm) to 1 inch in thickness. It all depends on the utility of each meat slicer, some can cut really thin pieces which are suitable for bacon strips while some can cut thick pieces of sausages.
Table of Contents
Meat Slicers: The Different Variants
The thickness range of a meat slicer is almost synonymous to its efficiency. Depending on the type and models of a meat slicer the thickness of its cut differs. Different types of meat slicers are available in market. Some of the most common varieties are manual types of slicer and automatic types of meat slicer, however, automatic slicers are more popular in market.
There is another special meat slicers, which is used mostly for commercial purpose. These slicers are called flywheel meat slicers, which are found in manual as well as in their electric operated versions.
The General Cutting Thickness of Meat Slicers
All these meat slicers are designed to cut raw and uncooked meat, and these slicers are not designed to cut the bones. Semi frozen meat can be sliced in this machines, but full frozen meat is a strict NO for these meat cutters, no matter how powerful they are.
- A manual meat slicer can cut meat piece from the range of 0.6 mm to 17 mm: a standard manual slicer can cut 60 slices in a minute
- An automatic slicer can cut meat piece in the range from 0.5 mm to 25 mm at the speed of 60 slices per minute
- A flywheel slicer can for a maximum slice thickness of 4 mm
- Commercial-Grade Meat Slicers can cut from paper-thin deli cuts up to .98 inch thick pieces
How To Change Thickness Settings of Meat Slicers?
The change of thickness of meat slicing is an important feature of a meat slicer as it helps the users to customize the meat pieces. Mostly electrically operated meat slicers come with this feature. The step-by-step method is:
- Be sure that the power button of the slicer is on. The blade should start rotating anticlockwise.
- Now you have to adjust the slice thickness: you can do it by revolving the slice thickness controller anticlockwise. Turn the fixing positioner to select a cut.
- Now rotate the knob right-handed. Make sure that the fixing positioner head touches the plate.
- Now push the product carriage onward and rear over the blade in one incessant motion using the pusher handle and knob.
- After slicing the chosen amount of meat, now you need to change the slicing amount again back to zero.
- Now turn the positioner knob and let the fixative positioner head come to its normal position.
This is the way you can change the thickness setting of the slicer. However, in case of a specific meat slicer, you can check the instruction manual to get the setting done.
How To Make Slices of Uniform Thickness Using A Manual Meat Slicer?
If you have a manual meat slicer in your kitchen, you may not adjust its cutting thickness as you can do it with an electric slicer, but you can adjust it for slices of uniform thickness. It is indeed a facility that becomes helpful at times. Let’s take a look here at how it is done.
In case of manual slicer, the thickness of the sliced meat can be set for a uniform size by adjusting the adaptable gage plate and matching gage plate adjustment mechanism.
A manual meat slicer is built with a base portion and an upright portion, which is inherently built with the base portion. The upright portion includes the rotating cutting blade for slicing meat pieces and at least one motor is found positioned for rotating the blade.
Here an adaptable gage plate also is found for shaping the thickness of the meat piece for slicing by the cutter blade. The gage plate adjustment device is found fixed to an upper portion and is in direct engagement with the upper portion of the gage plate so that the adjustment of the gage plate is done easily but the user. This adjustment of the plate to the cutting blade determines the thickness of a meat to be sliced in uniform pieces.
It is not an easy process, but once you are used to, you can do the adjustment safety and fast.
Thickness Range of The Best Meat Slicers
In case you are interested in going for any of the Top 10 best meat slices available in the market then we have made a list with each of their cutting thickness ranges for your easy reference so that you can directly pick one based on your meat thickness requirement.
- Chef’s Choice 609A000 Electric Meat Slicer: It has a 7 inches blade and it can cut slices of deli-thin to ¾ inches thick.
- OSTBA Meat Slicer Electric: Built with 7.5 inches blade and it slices via adjustable thickness mechanism from super thin to around ¾ inches.
- Continental Electric PS77711 Pro Series Meat Slicer: It has a 7.5 inches blade and can slice meat up to 0.5 inches in thickness.
- Gourmia GFS900 Professional Electric Power Food & Meat Slicer: 9 inches blade and it offers the cutting thickness efficiency of super thin to approximately ¾ inch slices.
- Chefman Die-Cast Electric Deli/Food Slicer: Built with 7.5″ serrated stainless-steel blade, it can cut super thin to 0.6 inch thick slices of meat.
- Befen Stainless Steel Meat Cutter: Blade length is 6.7 inches, and slicing thickness range is 0.2 mm to 25mm (1 inch)
- Kitchener 9-inch Professional Electric Meat Slicer: Comes with a 9 inch blade and slicing thickness range from deli thin to 5/8 inch.
- Super Deal Commercial Stainless Steel Semi-Auto Meat Slicer: 10 inches blade and slicing thickness range is adjustable from super thin to 1/2 inch.
- VIVOHOME 10 Inch Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Electric Meat Slicer: the blade is 7.87 inches, and adjustable slicing thickness from deli-thin to 0.4 inch.
- KWS MS-10NT Premium Commercial Electric Meat Slicer: the blade size is 10 inches and the slicing thickness ranges between 0-0.4 inch.
This is all about the cutting thickness range of the meat slicers that are quote popular in market. Hope the information shared will help you to buy the best meat slicer for your further use.